Khao Lak Monkey Bar can be described in a flash as following: excellent affordable drinks, fantastic live music, and great laid-back atmosphere. Stuck between two buildings along Phetkasem Road, in the central part of La On Village (Nang Thong Beach’s resort town), Monkey Bar boasts a typical Reggae bar-style décor and atmosphere. Photos and illustrations of the iconic father of Reggae music, Bob Marley, hang on the walls side-by-side with monkey portraits. The rather small size of the venue, however, allows live musicians to perform comfortably.
Despite the Reggae style of the venue, different types of music are performed at Khao Lak Monkey Bar, from classic pop to electric rock to the off-beat tempo of Jamaica’s music; everyone can get a tune to their taste here. As in most live music bars around the world, jams are frequent, so do not hesitate to join the band if you know how to sing or how to play an instrument.
- Elephant Trekking, Whitewater Rafting, & 4-Wheel-Drive Quest
- Elephant Bathing, Ride & Waterfall Experience
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Khao Lak Day Trip with Elephant Trekking
- Morning ATV Tour in Phang Nga
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
- Turtles & Waterfalls Full-Day Bike Tour with Beachside Lunch
- Thai Cooking Class in Khao Lak
- Khao Sok Safari Overnight & Tree House
- Afternoon Boat Cruise with Canoeing & Dinner
The drinks list features all the usual suspects available in the tourist areas of southern Thailand, from beers to spirits to skilfully-mixed potent cocktails (try their Mojito), all sold at fair prices. The venue doesn’t serve food, but its location in the centre of the village offers a good choice of passing street snack vendors.
Summing up, Khao Lak Monkey Bar has, in the matter of just a few years, become one of the most popular places to have a drink at night in this otherwise tranquil area. Please note that Khao Lak Monkey Bar is usually closed for long periods of time during low season (from May to October).
Khao Lak Monkey Bar
- Opening Hours: 18:00-02:00
- Location: On Phetkasem Road, in the centre of La On Village
- Tel: +66 (0)84 846 2635