The best shopping in Khao Lak will certainly please most visitors yet leave hardcore shopaholic a bit hungry for more. Despite its rapid development since the end of the 20th century, Khao Lak has not yet reached the mega shopping malls era. It must be said that, apart from beautiful beaches, thick jungle, small fishing villages, and farms, there was nothing else in La On Village and Bang Niang (the two most prominent destinations in Khao Lak) until relatively recently.
The most popular shopping opportunities, therefore, remain at human size: fresh markets, small supermarkets, convenience stores, and independent shops host all that could be required for locals and visitors to spend a good time here.
- Elephant Trekking, Whitewater Rafting, & 4-Wheel-Drive Quest
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Morning ATV Tour in Phang Nga
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
- Turtles & Waterfalls Full-Day Bike Tour with Beachside Lunch
- Thai Cooking Class in Khao Lak
- Khao Sok Safari Overnight & Tree House
- Afternoon Boat Cruise with Canoeing & Dinner
Bang Niang Market is definitely the place to visit, even if you have nothing to buy. Held every day from 15:00 to 19:30, it is located on Phetkasem Road, near the main intersection that leads to the beach, diagonally opposite the Police Boat 813 memorial. Colourful and lively, this rather large market features about 100 stalls selling various goods from t-shirt to beachwear to fashion accessories to handmade souvenirs and more. It also gives the opportunity to sample a great choice of Thai street food.
- Opening Hours: Everyday, but especially Mon, Wed and Sat 15:00 – 19:30
- Location: Phetkasem Road, Bang Niang
Located in the centre of La On Village, at the intersection of Phetkasem Road with Nang Thong Road (the street that leads to Nang Thong Beach), Nang Thong Supermarket is a medium-sized (approximately 1,200sqm) store that sell just about everything from baby diapers to food and drinks (including a good choice of wines) to toiletry; in fact, all that you could need while on holiday in Khao Lak.
- Opening Hours: 09:00 - 21:00
- Location: Phetkasem Road, in the centre of La On Village
Khaolak Centre Point Bazaar features a vast range of products, from beachwear to beach toys to clothes to fashion accessories, and much more. Located on Phetkasem Road, in the centre (hence its name) of La On Village, you’ll find all that you need here, and even a lot of things that you don’t. The eclectic and haphazard appearance of this typical multi-purpose Thai store makes it worth a visit. Khaolak Centre Point Bazaar also features a massage parlour and beauty salon in its basement.
- Opening Hours: 12:00 - 23:00
- Location: In the central area of La On Village
Elegance remains affordable in Thailand. With over 15 bespoke tailor shops only in La On Village, you will surely find the right place to get a new suit, shirt or pants done. As everywhere else in Thailand, most of these shops are run by polyglot Indian or Pakistani expats. It is pretty difficult to recommend a specific shop as all of them offer much the same goods and services, many of them even sharing the same workshops. You should find the best tailor shop to your taste by talking directly with them. Do not hesitate to bargain!
- Opening Hours: usually from 12:00-22:00
- Location: Along Phetkasem Road in La On Village and Bang Niang and around the large beachfront resorts
Visiting Khuk Khak Fresh Market is the best thing you could do to get a glimpse of the real local life in southern Thailand. Thai fresh markets permit you to discover exotic fruits and vegetables unknown in Europe, as well as to sample delicious snacks prepared by wandering vendors. A market would not be a market in Thailand without street food stalls selling a wide choice of barbecued seafood and meat, banana pancakes, fresh sugarcane drinks, and more.
- Opening Hours: Daily, from early morning to late afternoon
- Location: Khuk Khak Bus Station, Phetkasem Road, 3km north of Bang Niang