Khao Lak Restaurants & Dining
What to Eat and Where to Dine in Khao Lak
The Khao Lak restaurants and dining scene will surely meet (and in some cases, exceed) your expectations. While not a gourmet destination, Khao Lak delivers the goods when it comes to family-style dining out. The area consisting of Khao Lak Beach, Bang Niang and La On has a broad range of cuisine on offer, including Indian, Scandinavian, Italian, German, British and of course Thai, while restaurants vary from hole-in-the-wall roadside eateries to plush hotel food outlets, with a lot in between.
As in most tourist destinations around southern Thailand, fresh seafood is king here. Surrounded by fishing piers – Tap Lamu, Baan Nam Kem, and more – you can expect to sample a great choice of delicious crab, lobster, prawn, and fish at most restaurants in Khao Lak.
- Elephant Trekking, Whitewater Rafting, & 4-Wheel-Drive Quest
- Elephant Bathing, Ride & Waterfall Experience
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Khao Lak Day Trip with Elephant Trekking
- Morning ATV Tour in Phang Nga
- Thai Cooking Class in Khao Lak
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
- Khao Sok Safari Overnight & Tree House
- Turtles & Waterfalls Full-Day Bike Tour with Beachside Lunch
- Afternoon Boat Cruise with Canoeing & Dinner
Restaurants in Other Khao Lak Areas
The name sounds modest enough – after all, how many bamboo-and-thatch seaside restaurants are there in Thailand? It’s only when you wind your way through the sumptuous grounds of Le Meridien Khao Lak Resort towards the beach that you suspect that this evening is going to be a special one. Bamboo Beach Bar and Seafood Grill is located right on the beach and the ‘tharump’ of the incoming waves hitting the strand is never far away. Read More...
- Location: Highway 4, in Le Meridien Khao Lak Resort on Pakweep Beach
If anyone could explain just exactly what it is that makes a successful restaurant they’d be able to retire a very rich person after writing a book about the magical ingredients. Some go for atmosphere, but if you want atmosphere without great food you may as well stay at home, right? No, it’s definitely a combination of atmosphere, décor, fine dining and location. Ficus, in The Sarojin, has all of these ingredients and more. Read More...
- Location: Off Phetkasem Road, in The Sarojin on Pakweep Beach
Krua Rim Tang
Krua Rim Tang is a simple local restaurant located on the road that leads to Pakarang Cape. Also featuring a mini-mart and motorbikes for rent, the restaurant has two dining areas: a room above the supermarket and bamboo huts in the garden. Serving delicious traditional Thai cuisine with strong northern influences, Krua Rim Tang is fairly priced and offers an agreeable venue to dine in a quiet area. Top dishes of genuine Thai cuisine include spicy pork balls to green papaya salad to kai yaan (Isan-style grilled chicken) and more.
- Opening Hours: 09:00-21:00
- Location: On the road heading to Pakarang Cape
- Tel: +66 (0)87 905 9522 and +66 (0)81 084 6471
If dining with your toes in the sand is your idea of a great holiday, you’ll be very pleased with Lay Restaurant. Located right on Khuk Khak Beach, a short distance from Khao Lak Orchid Beach Resort, this shanty-like venue is famous for its extensive menu featuring both Thai and international fare, and for the large portions it serves at fair rates. Lay Restaurant also hosts a beach massage parlour and a laundry service.
- Opening Hours: 09:00-00:00
- Location: In the southern part of Khuk Khak Beach, just north of Orchid Beach Resort and The Haven Resort
- Tel: +66 (0)85 819 0997
Established in 2009, to the north of Khuk Khak Beach (right before you reach Pakarang Cape), Memories is more than a simple beach bar. Named in memory of the 2004 Tsunami, which entirely destroyed the first version of this establishment, Memories Beach Bar features a restaurant, bungalows, and a good range of activities like beach volleyball, Thai boxing lessons, Thai cooking classes, and surfing equipment and lessons. The cuisine served at Memories Beach Bar is traditional Thai, with a choice of international beach club favourites such as salads, burgers, pasta, and freshly grilled meat or fish. Read More...
- Opening Hours: 10:00-00:00 in high season from September to April
- Location: Toward the northern end of Khuk Khak Beach, before Pakarang Cape
- Tel: +66 (0)89 729 2251
Muan Lai - Issarn Restaurant
Straddling a hillside in between Khao Lak Beach and La On is a bright yellow restaurant with superb views north over several beaches. This is Muan Lai –specialising in northeastern Thai cuisine. Breezy and colourful, Muan Lai is instantly noticeable (which is a good thing as it has no English-language sign outside) and is a good choice of venue for sundowners or an early dinner – if not lunch. It’s never crowded so service is more or less instantaneous and the menu consists mainly of grilled meats, potent sauces and sticky (glutinous) rice. If you’ve ever wondered what Khao Lak’s coastline looks like at a glance Muan Lai is the place to take it all in.
- Opening Hours: 08:00 – 22:00
- Location: Highway 4 in between Khao Lak Beach and La On Village
- Cuisine: Barbecue