Bang Niang Market is the shopping epicentre of Khao Lak. Located right opposite the Police Boat 813’s Tsunami Memorial Park on Phetkasem Road, Bang Niang Market covers a 21,000 sqm area. Always a colourful and lively sight, Thai markets are a must-do on any visitor’s itinerary.
Bang Niang hosts the most popular night market in Khao Lak. It is especially interesting as it is large, varied and very much a part of the local shopping scene. Here, you’ll find four rows of makeshift shops/stalls made of wood and thatch, with three wide alleyways between them.
- Elephant Trekking, Whitewater Rafting, & 4-Wheel-Drive Quest
- Whitewater Rafting & 4-Wheel-Drive Adventure
- Morning ATV Tour in Phang Nga
- John Gray's Cave Canoeing Tour in Phang Nga Bay
- Turtles & Waterfalls Full-Day Bike Tour with Beachside Lunch
- Thai Cooking Class in Khao Lak
- Khao Sok Safari Overnight & Tree House
- Afternoon Boat Cruise with Canoeing & Dinner
Bang Niang Market Highlights
Goods for sale include shirts, T-shirts, sarongs, beachwear, jeans, shoes, fashion accessories, fruit and vegetables (especially popular with visitors), grilled food, snacks, watches, sunglasses, fake perfume, Thai silk, souvenirs, and just about anything you could imagine.
Due to the wide alleyways, the atmosphere is relaxed and happy. Things never get too crowded and the merchants and vendors seem to enjoy dealing with the many visitors who enjoy this eye-opening experience. There are even a couple of bars to sit at, including long-established venues such as Song’s Bar (on the right alleyway, when facing the market entrance) and Chay’s Bar (on the left alleyway, when facing the market entrance).
Good to Know About Bang Niang Market
The fresh produce section of the market is open every day, but the interesting part for visitors opens on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday, and Saturday only. The large signboard near the main entrance on Phetkasem Road says that the market is open from 10:00 to 22:00, but it's best to go late afternoon, from 16:30 onward, when the temperature starts to decrease.
Many Khao Lak hotels offer free shuttles to Bang Niang Market for their guests. If your hotel doesn’t offer such a service, you just need to catch a local taxi truck on Phetkasem Road to get there for a small fee. If you rent a motorbike or car, there’s plenty of space to park along Phetkasem Road, in the vicinity of the market.
Bang Niang Market Photos
Bang Niang Market
- Opening Hours: Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Saturday 10:00 – 22:00
- Location: On Phetkasem Road by the 7-Eleven opposite the Tsunami Memorial Park in Bang Niang